Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Mar 20, 2012

In this multiplayer-focused shooter, the evil Umbrella Corporation and the U.S. Government clash in the hellish zombie-infested remains of Raccoon City in a battle for survival and control of the truth.

I am weak

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Sackmanjones

So there have only been 2 reviews up for this game (so far, a 4 out of 10 and 6 out of 10: ign, gameinformer)

Yet I am still considering buying this game because I am a huge sucker for the series. Is anyone else in the same boat as me? Can anyone vouche for fans of the series that they might like it or is it really as big a pile of garbage as these reviews say? I need your guidance giant bomb

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By James_Giant_Peach

There's also a couple of 7.5s from Gameshark and Destructoid. And a couple more 4s from Eurogamer and Joystiq. Sounds like a pretty divisive title.

I love the series too and am really not sure either way.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

I'll get back to you on Friday... maybe Thursday if I'm lucky.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Itwastuesday

I'm not a long-time Resident Evil fan, and I don't know how much of a long-time RE fan Arthur Gies is either, but he didn't seem to think RE fans would appreciate this game.

aside: god these vox articles are ugly

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Vorbis

Getting it simply for the co-op, if you plan to play it alone then know that the AI is horrid in a Dead Island kind of way.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

@Vorbis said:

Getting it simply for the co-op, if you plan to play it alone then know that the AI is horrid in a Dead Island kind of way.

Or Hell, to keep it in the family, how about a Resident Evil Outbreak kinda way. :P

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @James_Giant_Peach

There's also a couple of 7.5s from Gameshark and Destructoid. And a couple more 4s from Eurogamer and Joystiq. Sounds like a pretty divisive title.

I love the series too and am really not sure either way.

Ya I didn't see those scores. I'm just so torn on the game. It helps I have like 36 dollars on y bestbuy gift card but still I'm not sure even a diehard fan would like it
    Gerorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gerorne

I almost resisted... and then I saw the 18x10 Raccoon City sign was still available if you buy the game through Capcom, so I bought the non-special edition (special edition was sold out) for the PS3.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By falserelic

I'm a huge RE fan but I have no intention of buying it.

Ibnsane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ibnsane

I own this game. I think it is very good, Nice twist to the RE Series. Working for Umbrella is fun, and it feels like a FPS. The AI team needs babysitting though. Sometimes leaving you to fight a bunch of zombies but what doesn't kill you makes you a better gamer ;)

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By BisonHero

@Itwastuesday said:

aside: god these vox articles are ugly

And for a gaming news source called "Vox Games", it sure as hell says "The Verge" fucking everywhere.

Their site is bad.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By musubi

I have some duders on my twitter feed playing who are big RE fans and they aren't liking it much at all. Do what you will with that information I have no personal judgement on the game but the 2nd hand stuff I've heard isn't good.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Sarumarine

EDIT: I just saw your first impressions topic. Never mind. Sorry about that.

I don't know if you've made a decision yet, but I put in a bunch of time with campaign and co-op. I thought I'd let you know what I think if that would help.

I've had a lot of fun with the game so far. Granted, I had little expectations except the design would have something in common with SOCOM. I don't play SOCOM games, so I can't really speak on that. The shooting feels okay. Ammo can be tight. The cover system is... touchy most of the time. Shotguns are a lot of fun (especially when applied to zombies). Melee takes some getting used to, but you can do some cool things with it like a zombie meat shield (which can be useful and funny) or some satisfying kill moves (limited no. of animations though). Grenades, herbs, spray cans, and anti-virus vaccine are in full effect as shit goes down in Raccoon City.

The U.S.S. crew have some cool abilities too. My favorite so far is Four Eyes who can basically throw a can of Zombie bait at enemies or B.O.W.s. I find it very satisfying watching a whole horde of zombies turn and swarm a target of my choosing. Then I throw a grenade for extra effect. Lots of fun so far. But you do have to be careful around your teammates. They can get hit with it too. Then it can get ugly. Lupo has an ability to fire incendiary bullets which can be useful provided the target you set on fire doesn't get too close. I made that accident once and my team wasn't too happy about it.

However, this game is more of a spin-off or side project than something I would consider as a "part" of the Resident Evil series. It's not scary (although Resident Evil hasn't really been scary since 2 or 3 in my opinion) and it's layering more fiction on a series that already has some tenuous fiction in the first place. There are a lot of "I remember that guy/scene/place!" moments as you might expect. I wouldn't sweat the story stuff in the grand scheme of things. For the game, it's fine. Unless you're really, really, really attached to the way things unfolded in RE 2 and 3. I didn't find it a big deal. But I'm lenient like that. Your opinion may differ.

On the flip side, the Resident Evil name does let them use zombies, Hunters, Tyrants, Nemesis, and even Crimson Heads from the GameCube RE for some frantic combat scenarios. It can get absolutely hectic. More so than the regular RE games could ever manage. That may or may not be a good thing depending on your taste. Later on the in the campaign, as Raccoon City goes to hell, the game can throw tons and tons of enemies at you. To the point where hauling ass to the next objective is a solid survival tactic. After all, it is four guys against a zombified city. It can get awfully frustrating sometimes. This game can be damn hard even on normal. I played co-op online (never with more than one or two other players yet) and missions still took a half-an-hour or so. Playing with bots hasn't been too bad. They do walk into trip-mines, and won't pick up herbs. Getting them together for a spray can heal is almost impossible. But they are good for distracting enemies and seem pretty good about healing you if there's a window for it.

I haven't tried the competitive multiplayer yet. But if you have any other questions, let me know. I'll do my best to answer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.