Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

APB Reloaded

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jun 29, 2010

Better known as the free-to-play "APB: Reloaded", APB is a MMO third-person shooter by the developers of Crackdown. Players choose between the hard-boiled law enforcers or the feared criminals as they try to stop the opposing faction's objectives.

RTW layoffs, forums explode, a few points to take away.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MysteriousFawx

Full story about the layoffs can be found on Kotaku- 
    http://kotaku.com/5612289/apb-developer-realtime-worlds-hit-with-major-layoffs

After reading this I browsed through the APB forums, both NA and EU. Theres a lot of doomsday propaganda from the players there who seem to think the sky is falling, moderators are saying otherwise and keep quoting that the game will continue to be supported by RTW.

One thing players have noticed however, is that 3 and 6 month subscription plans have now vanished from the accounts page. In a thread on the NA forums, it was stated that this change will have an announcement to follow shortly. In my opinion, I think RTW finally realised that this game will get a steady decline in business with the current subscription plan. They've removed the large gametime purchases and within the next month or two will phase it out entirely, going  the way of Global Agenda, buy 2 play, which I've got to say, is fantastic news.

I feel that a game like this really needs, to save it from certain oblivion within the next 2 years, is a steady influx of players thanks to removal of subscription fees. After all, looking at the plethora of games available on the pc it doesn't take a genius to work out that there are better shooter experiences with no monthly cost, but none of them have the edge of customisation that APB can offer to players. Its simply an edge that isn't a big enough justificiation for handing over your money month after month.

Hopefully this POSSIBLE change will spark a little interest in the game, maybe even help RTW get back on their feet after what appears to be a dark turn for the studio.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

BUMP!  

I found this funny. And a sign of APB starting to fall. Taking away your long term subs can mean only a few things..one of which being they will no longer charge to play. 

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ajamafalous

This game starts to get slightly more appealing without subscription fees.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @ajamafalous said:
    " This game starts to get slightly more appealing without subscription fees. "
    The game was never ment to be pay to play. I bet they saw they had spent to much money. Then tacked on the subs. Then saw they spent to much money again and added paid advertisments. 
    A_Wet_Shamwow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By A_Wet_Shamwow
    @The_Laughing_Man: 
    you found it funny people are losing their job's?
    Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Interfect

So now this game totally IS Guild Wars with guns...

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @A_Wet_Shamwow said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man:  you found it funny people are losing their job's? "
    I found it funny how massively the game is failing. 
    Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Man,some of those threads on their forum.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Jimbo

They never should have gone subscription in the first place.  Smart money was on establishing a user base, then finding a way to charge them for optional shit they don't really need.  They could still turn it around, but they've made it way harder than if they'd just gone that route to start with.  Other games have been turned around by ditching subs before though, so it's not necessarily a lost cause just yet.

That other game they were working on looked terrible, so no great loss there apart from the job losses.  RTW needs to be a bit more realistic about their ability and not keep overreaching.  Dave Jones - much like Tim Schafer - isn't compromising enough to succeed in the modern AAA market imo.  That isn't necessarily a bad trait, it just means they can either choose to make smaller games and succeed, or keep trying to make AAA games and fail.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MysteriousFawx
    @Jimbo: You hit the nail right on the head.

I'm sure with the current userbase and the RTW points, people would be more than willing to pay for a 'fastrack' to being top tier. Not sure I speak for the masses on this, but advertising in games, especially through audio, is no big deal to me. Even billboards in game for real world products wouldn't be too bad if the game has no sub as a result.

All I can imagine is that theres been a lot of boardroom meetings and debate over whats going to happen, I really do hope the game stays afloat with the decision they make as too many studios that are willing to try something ambious are disappearing and it makes the way for EA and Activision to keep producing the same old stuff. Viva lá revolution! wait what? Might have got sidetracked....
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By emkeighcameron

APB is a janky piece of crap; how people could pay MONTHLY to play it is beyond me. This is a step in the right direction, but it won't be enough to prevent the relatively quick obsolescence of APB.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.