Anime & Cartoon Megathread V: I, Gacha

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

It took 3 or 4 years of off and on watching but I finally caught up to One Piece. I kinda got a love hate thing because the highs are some of my favorite of any shonen but good lord can they drag things out worse than Dragon Ball Z or Bleach. When and if One Piece finally ends I hope they give it the Dragon Ball Kai treatment because it really is amazing but they could definitely edit out a ton of useless filler. Have the 4Kids One Piece Pirate Rap because Jan is right it kinda kicks ass.

Loading Video...

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4452  Edited By Mezmero

It's strange, the last two years I struggled to think of a top 5 list of anime but this year I could probably make a top 10 right now if I wanted to, though be fair some of them would be rollovers from the year prior.

Vinland Saga is my favorite thing of the season. In some ways it reminds me a bit of Berserk though it's somewhat more enjoyable knowing that it doesn't become a cosmic horror series down the line. It's got just enough but not too much of that anime ridiculousness (heck historical fiction IS ridiculous in some cases) while also feeling very grounded thanks to the subject matter.

I've really come around on Dr. Stone in the last several episodes. It's just an extremely fun show to watch with a surprisingly smart approach to comedy that got some legit laughs out of me.

Carole and Tuesday is pretty cool though it feels like it moves at a weird pace at times. I very much dig the music and I think my favorite parts are the dance animations, not just with choreographed routines but also the way people are generally groovin' as they play and perform music.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

Oh right the anime thread, uh...here's some random stuff I've been watching lately:

• Symphogear: Finally finished the first season? cour? 13 eps of this wonderfully dumbass show thanks to an online-friend indirectly recommending it. Every character in it is a fucking moron and they nearly let the Earth be destroyed because they were so goddamned dumb, even by dumb non-comedy anime standards...and yet! I had a lot of fun watching this show about lesbian schoolgirls who fight monsters and each other with sentai-ish suits powered by J-Pop all because some lady wants to destroy the Moon to spite God. If you can turn off your brain you'll love it.
  • Cop Craft: It's a shame that the studio had the budget of a few thousand yen and a bus pass for this show. The story is great (I want to say "reverse-isekai" but fuck that) and the director is great but so many action scenes just turn into a complete slideshow of 3-4 frames total because they just do not have the time/money to animate it like it should, especially episode 3 was a hot mess. Having said that, it's like the Will Smith Orc-Cop Movie (Bright) but better. Don't @ me.
  • Fire Force: What if you could punch out fire? What if you could pray for the cities drowned by melted ice caps? What if the Fire Force world firefighters could budget to finish the firefighter suits instead of forcing so many to wear stylish jackets that only sort of cover their bodies from fire? I forgot where I was going with this. Anyways, it's more fun than I expected a shounen show about magical firefighters to be, but I'll probably fall off soon.
  • Demon Slayer: liking it so far, only seen a couple eps, but apparently everyone is going crazy for demon-sister
  • O Maidens in Your Savage Season: I love this show, it's a real good drama with bits of comedy about highschool girls dealing with new feelings being brought on through puberty, but of course if I say it like that I sound like a creepy fucking weirdo. Just watch it, it's good.
  • Magical Sempai: Why did I watch this, why would anyone watch this?
not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Resurrect this thread by saying Diamond is Unbreakable is best JoJo.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lotsa sequels and gacha game adaptations coming up this season. Thinking I'll check out Beastars and No Guns Life. Maybe Granblue Fantasy S2 because I'm a sucker for the franchise.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Resurrect this thread by saying Diamond is Unbreakable is best JoJo.

I will fight you

papercity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Can we consider Rick and Morty as an Anime? :)

I started watching Rick and Morty 2 years ago and decided to get a tattoo last year.

No Caption Provided

I got this Mr Meeseeks tattoo last year as it's the "First Anime" I ever watch and love, which then lead me to watch Attacks on titans, and ended up watching Hunter X Hunter... Yea I am now in love with animes :/ I was thinking about watching one piece too but there is so many episodes to watch, I am not sure i'll ever have time to watch em all =(

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Bit late to the party but I am 4 episodes into Demon Slayer and am enjoying it so far.

Also saw Promare in the theaters and thought it was a good fun time. It felt kind of like a Studio Trigger mix-tape where they took elements from a lot of their previous shows, put them in a blender and made a rainbow colored smoothie. The beginning and end of the movie are zany and fun but the middle felt like it was trying to take all the exposition from a 26 episode TV series and fast-forward through it all to make it fit in a movie length run-time. Because of the rushed story, I never really got invested in what was happening but the awesome visuals and the film's crazy energy was enough for me to still have a good time with Promare. Also Inferno is a great song:

Loading Video...

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else keen for Haikogu Saikoro club? Cute girls doing cute things, with board games :D

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I don’t even know what the big shows for this next season are outside of My Hero Academia coming back. I basically haven’t watched any anime since my Evangelion rewatch a few months ago; haven’t been in the mood.

However, just switched from Crunchyroll to VRV and am planning on getting into stuff again now that I have access to all of HiDive’s catalog too. Anything from last season (or hell, even Spring) that I should watch that isn’t Kimetsu no Yaiba? That’s already a given, and I’m vaguely interested in that Fate-adjacent “El Melloi’s Case Files” show and “O Maidens in your Savage Season.” Anything else that I should keep an eye out for, or is it just going to be a lot of backlog watching for me? (I still haven’t touched that Blu-Ray of Spice and Wolf I bought on Prime Day)

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre: I have not been keeping up with what is airing this season so I didn't know that was a thing. Like most shows, I might check it out if it gets positive buzz.

@arbitrarywater said:

I don’t even know what the big shows for this next season are outside of My Hero Academia coming back.

Same for me. Haven't actually watched a lot of stuff as it airs from the last few seasons. Been watching older stuff instead like Haikyu (which I finished recently).

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papercity: no worries, we do non-anime cartoons in this thread too

For everyone else who asked about next season, here's a chart.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

The only thing I ended up watching last season was Carole & Tuesday, which technically a show from the season before (thanks Netflix).

Looking forward to the return of Psycho-Pass and Chihayafuru this season, and will probably check out Beastars as well.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4464  Edited By Mezmero

Looking over the seasonal list seems like slim pickins outside of MHA but there's a handful of stuff I'm interested in checking out. Luckily my main three shows from this season will continue.

I'll probably watch Hi-Score Girl II whenever those episodes coast to Netflix. Same goes for Seven Deadly Sins I guess though I was less than enthused after its previous season.

One huge surprise for me is a remake of Cooking Master Boy!? It's funny that it's coming back parallel to the next season of Food Wars as I personally like the classic Cooking Master Boy anime slightly more by comparison. It's going to be jarring to watch without a Chinese dub.

Another surprise is someone giving a Blade of the Immortal anime another go. I found the anime they did years ago to be a pretty dull rendition of one of my all time fave mangas. I'm curious how far they'll go with it in terms of content as there is some pretty graphic violence against women in it. It's not done super frequently mind you but whenever it does occur it's pretty freaking brutal. Worth noting that there are a few cool female characters but that might not be enough of a consolation for some.

There are some sports animes that I'll probably check out because of course I will. At the same time, I get it Japan! Being small is a disadvantage in sports! How soon until we move past this trope that seems to have gotten popular recently? I'm all for an underdog story but not every sports anime going forward has to be Rudy ya know.

There's some Zootopia looking anime called BEASTARS. It might not be my cup of tea though I'm interested in how it compares to other recent Anthr-omedies like Aggretsuko or Bojack.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Warning: My Hero Academia starts TONIGHT

InstantRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally watched everything I was slightly interested in from this season and the biggest surprise/probably my favorite thing this season is Kabukicho Sherlock, with the English name being 'Case file n21: Kabukicho' for some strange reason. Being yet another anime take on the well worn Sherlock territory, I expected a passable show but was greeted with something more along the vibe of Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens from a while back. Sherlock explaining the mystery through the use of rakugo was just great.

I'm extremely interested in how Hoshiai no Sora (Stars Align) is going to handle the "turn" it throws in at the end. I never have faith in anime to handle things like this well so we'll see how it goes.

There's also something like 6 isekai and I don't objectively hate any of them unlike last season.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Guns Life Ep1: Pretty good so far! Especially love how the gun head protagonist is taken seriously and how he literally punches a speeding train at the end. Also spotted an Unreal Engine logo in the ending credits, wonder where that comes in. Maybe one of the characters plays Fortnite in-universe?

Choyoyu Ep 1-2: It was sold to me by an online-friend as "Danganronpa isekai" so I gave it a shot, and he was partly right. Class of 7 Ultimate Highschool students (including an 18 y.o. Prime Minister for some reason?) crash land in a village full of dog-people and decide to thank their rescuers by taking over the fantasy world. So I guess it's like Danganronpa if there were no Monokuma and no real challenge.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

As part of my own poor choice parade, I decided that the first show of this season I'd give a look was Oresuki "Are You the Only One Who Loves Me?" and uh... that's a heck of a three episode test. It sure does swerve between being a potentially interesting subversion of the anime harem comedy to... actually just kind of being an anime harem comedy? I uh... I don't know if I want to keep watching or not.

Maybe I should go back to not giving a shit about whatever seasonal hotness is happening and finally watch that Kimetsu no Yaiba all the cool teens are into.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4471  Edited By DocHaus
Loading Video...

Happy Halloween!

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, that was enough to make me want to lazily breeze through Hyouka one more time.

not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am really amazed at how consistently good Bob's Burgers is despite being a decade old.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

It has come to my attention Senran Kagura is doing another crossover event with its anime adaptation. This time, however, it's a crossover event with Gantz. I'm not kidding; this is a real thing.

Burn everything down to the ground.
Burn everything down to the ground.

I'm going to watch this, and if you don't hear back from me in two week, then assume this was the anime to do me in!

WISH ME LUCK!

not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zombiepie: Gantz was the first manga I got into. What a weird violent and horny series that was. Basically it was perfect for a teenage boy as is this crossover I see.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been enjoying My Hero Academia. Red Riot Unbreakable was a GREAT moment

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4477  Edited By imhungry

@zombiepie: I understand all of the words that made up your post but still can't comprehend it existing. Is this actually a full on animated spin-off or just some gacha game collab (which would make marginally more sense)?

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both EDs for Vinland Saga have been two of my absolute favorites from this year.

It was brought to my attention a few weeks ago that the classic Saint Seiya episodes have been dropping on Netflix. Finally more English speaking people can experience one of the greatest Lucha Libre animes of all time. Also it has Shiryu, who as far as I'm concerned is one of THE reasons One Punch Man exists.

Loading Video...

Some newer stuff I've been watching:

Ahiru no Sora is decent. It's more or less a reverse Slam Dunk where instead of a delinquent joining a skilled basketball team it's a skilled basketball player joining a team of delinquents to teach them the love of the game. Probably the only sports show I kind of want to keep up with this season.

New Cooking Master Boy is way more of a cut and dry remake than I thought it'd be. It starts all the way in the middle of the original series run but the episodes it covers are pretty much unchanged and sped up a bit. Eh, it's fine but it might have been better left as a relic of the past.

Blade of the Immortal is good, much better than the previous adaptation. First of all the voice casting is improved starting with Manji himself who captures the lackadaisical gruffness befitting the character from the comics. It's also moving at a pretty brisk pace to the point that I wonder if it's leaving out too much back story for newcomers. I'll say the stuff that's been abridged and omitted seems thoughtfully done and is to the series' benefit in most cases. This is definitely one of those series that can't quite capture the splendor of the manga art but still looks very good stylistically. Most of the fights are extremely faithful to the books but the action moves so fast sometimes that I feel like viewers aren't able to appreciate the unique weaponry conceived by Samura-sensei.

Started watching Babylon which is pretty cool. It reminds a lot of Monster in that it is a horror anime with nothing supernatural about it (at least so far), where most of the dread stems from the "monster" of social infallibility and brainwashing.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

THREAD REVIVAL.

One Piece - episode 918 - this continues to be a thing I like, a lot. During all the recap stuff they did just before Wano, I started skipping through the flashbacks since I've already seen that stuff, but even just the glimpses I saw of it got me all emotional. Made me wish I had friends who were into One Piece, haha.

Since I'm about to catch up with what's currently airing though, my sights are now set on the Gundam series. Time to finally start that in earnest. 3 episodes in and I'm certainly liking 0079 in series form better than I liked it in compilation film form.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just wanted to post this:

No Caption Provided

As you were.

Kemuri07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since I have nothing else to do, I kinda found myself going through part of the first arc of Bleach. It's....disposable. There's a part of me that understands why it was one of the big three back in the early-mid 00s, and I probably would have liked it more if I watched it when I was in middle school/high school. But I don't think the issue is that Bleach is old; more like, despite its popularity, that it's always been middle of the road. And I'm sure this is one of those cases where I'd have to "keep going" to get to the good stuff.

But man...I'm too old for that now. I don't expect anime, least of all shonen anime, to be amazing from the start. Part of the reason why this kind of anime potentially has some of the biggest highs in the medium is because they do take a long time in developing the characters. I get that. But I still need something to care about and, besides some neat aesthetics, there's really nothing there. A lot of it comes down to the characters; besides Ichigo and Rukia--who I actually do kinda like and think they make a cute couple--everyone else is just obvious anime tropes that I really don't care about them. Made even worse that most of the time, the side characters are involved in the usual "wacky anime highschool hijinks" that are more dull than funny. I'm sure it gets better over time, but yeah...I think I'm kinda done with it.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4482  Edited By Hamst3r

I have completed the Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 series, and am nearly done with the short Origin series, at which point it'll be time for Zeta Gundam.

Gundam is very good.

And I hope it remains that way. I've heard it's got some real nonsense here and there, but as I am of a general proclivity to enjoy nonsense, I don't think it'll be a problem.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Watched Babylon, which had a great and promising premise but it was not good, it was like a bad attempt at redoing Monster by the way of Psycho Pass with some really bad writing. What I wouldn’t give for a proper anime crime drama.

Also Watched Haikyuu and holy crap is it good.

Kemuri07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched like two episodes of Babylon, but I was really impressed by it. Especially that second episode. Though it probably has a lot to do with finding an anime that isn't shonen or cute girls doing cute shit.

Started watching Saint Seiya the past couple of days and, holy shit, this show fucking rocks. I knew about Saint Seiya, and figured it was this light fantasy show about pretty boys in armor; I was not expecting the show to be these dudes pummeling the shit out of each other. And that opening. My god, that opening is insanely bad ass.

Loading Video...
not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So anyone bite the bullet and watch that new Ghost in the Shell series on Netflix? Middling to bad reviews and the bland CGI animation has kept me away.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kemuri07: Yup Saint Seiya's dat good shit. Only discovered the show through some friends back in the late 2000's and became a fan for life so it's great to see it being made available for more English speaking folks. I ended up rewatching most of it as it's dropped on Netflix in glorious HD. Initially I was just going through all of the Shiryu fights (which are often the best fights) until I got to the Trial of 12 Gold Houses arc and ended up just watching everything to the end.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@not_a_bumblebee: It's not terrible, but I wouldn't really recommend it either. Feels like IG has been trying to recapture the same lightning in a bottle they had with the original movie and SAC and each successive version of GitS anime has been disappointing or just plain bad.

Kemuri07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem with Ghost in The Shell was that the first film is definitely not you'd call "accessible" by any stretch of the imagination. And I think that's a large reason why people love that film in the first place. The series is definitely more geared towards being accessible, since I felt like SAC never really captured what made that first movie so great in the first place. Sounds like the other series aren't that great either.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4489  Edited By Zeik

I'm not a big fan of the original GitS movie personally (it has its moments, but it's bogged down by a lot of other stuff), but I love SAC. (Including 2nd Gig.) It's one my favorite animes of all time.

I haven't gotten around to resubing to Netflix to watch the new one, but I'm planning to do so soon to watch it. I've actually heard positive things from fans of SAC I know, who also didn't like anything else that came after, so that gave me some hope for it.

It's always better to watch something yourself and form your own opinion rather than let other people do it for you.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4490  Edited By BabyChooChoo

SAC is my favorite anime ever. This isn't a criticism, but I feel like it's just a product of the era it was made in. Same goes for the movie too. There were a lot of similar anime in terms of pacing and tone around that time. It wasn't all that was being made, obviously, not be a long shot, but there were definitely more of that type of thing.

Similarly, while you get that type of anime made today, I feel like it's fewer and farther between than they used to be.

This is not me waving a cane and going like "the animes were better in the good old days!" I'm just saying that back then, you had the perfect conditions for something like the og movie/SAC to get made, but times have changed. Hell, they keep making the major look younger (I know at least in Arise's case, the time the story takes place justifies it...), but everyone else looks about the same as they always have. And I'm willing to be bet that's no accident because younger Major specifically is an easier sell to your bosses because it'll probably appeal more to what anime fans are into these days. And that decision probably leads to other decisions being made about these new shows as well.

Couple that with the actual people making it going through whatever changes they go through emotionally, creatively, etc. and suddenly recapturing that magic is a pretty hard ask.

Sadly, happens with a lot of shit. Some things can keep transitioning and stay relevant. Others had their time and made their impact, and their legacy will live on for however long it lives on. As much as I wish otherwise, GiTS is absolutely the latter.

This isn't a low-key review on that new Netflix joint btw. Haven't seen it yet, but heard it was a fun action thing with some GitS shit sprinkled in and thats good enough for me right now. I'll probably watch it today or tomorrow.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4491  Edited By Mezmero

Might as well update what else I've watched over the past several months. I'll start with cartoons just cuz:

I watched Castlevania "season" 3. We might need a whole other thread for this because as with the previous seasons I was really torn on this show despite thinking that it's one of the best animated video game adaptations. All I'll say is that I get irritated that people inflate the value of this show purely on the strength of its action scenes, which make up what, like 5% of the total run time?

I've been way behind on Venture Bros so I caught up on the last 3 seasons. Still a great show. I came back to it so late that I figured it would've been finished but much to my surprise I guess there's more to come. I like that in the later seasons they sort of push back on the redundancies of their voice cast by bringing in some ringers like Toby Huss, Paul F Tompkins, Clancy Brown, etc. for some really fun supporting roles. The pun named heroes and villains remain one my favorite things in the whole series.

Also caught up on a lot of Bob's Burgers while eating lunch and dinner. This show rarely doesn't put a smile on my face. I feel like it's carrying the torch for a vibe that The Simpsons use to cover back in the day and doesn't anymore. Namely making mundane situations very absurd as opposed to the way modern Simpsons makes absurd situations very mundane.

Now for some of that anime:

Every subsequent season of Haikyuu I think to myself "there's no way they can keep up this quality," and every time I end up like "Nope I still love this".

I finally got around to Kaguya-Sama Love is War and turns out that's an extremely funny show. Looking forward to digging into season 2.

On a lark I wound up watching BOFURI: Max Out My Defense-yada-yada. I thought it was pretty cute for much of it but near the end I found myself getting annoyed. Probably the most preposterous thing about this premise is the notion that a non-gamer would just stumble into a broken character build but I guess that's suppose to give it that Isekai flavor despite the fact that it's just people playing an MMO. Basically the things QA testing this game are doing a bad job.

The Blade of the Immortal adaptation is about as good as it could possibly be I suppose. By that token I was surprised just how much material from the manga was cut. In some cases the stuff being cut doesn't really change the details of the overall plot but other times I feel like we're missing out on certain character motivations, some very cool fights, and plot details that were additive to the series' themes. I can't complain too much because it was handled much better than the previous anime. This is just one of those times that I tell people to read the books instead.

not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like a dead thread but I'll post anyway: Finally started watching Psycho-Pass and so far pretty cool but I'm still in the first season near the end after the big reveal. Love that it's basically anime Minority Report meets Judge Dredd.

I also recently watched Dorohedoro. Obviously not as good as the manga but it's probably the best adaptation one could hope for.

naterfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I have been trying, to adequate success, to get through Hunter x Hunter for almost the past year, but keep coming up with excuses to put off the next episode so it's been a pretty snail's pace. Part of the problem has been that I was very into the manga about 15 years ago but fell off during the hiatuses and while I forget most of the major details I remember just enough that some of the earlier arcs are way more of a chore to get through than I expected. But I am remaining more or less committed, it's a series that has been a big black hole in my backlog and I definitely at least somewhat obligated to see it through when I cared about the manga so much way back when and YYH was huge influence on my early anime tastes.

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently bought the first issue an old anime magazine called AnimePlay by a company called Hirameki. Every issue contains a DVD with a bunch of stuff on it and I found out after my purchase that the first AnimePlay features an entire documentary about Hideaki Anno. The documentary was part of a series produced by the NHK called "Extracurricular Lesson" where different creators revisit their old school and teach kids about their job and life. I had seen clips of this video before but hadn't watched the whole thing until getting this magazine. It is super entertaining watching Anno teach elementary school students as well as insightful and wholesome.

I recommend giving it a watch. You can easily find it on YouTube.

Loading Video...

geeelectronica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

warms my heart knowing bebop is #1 on the list

Top8Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone here watching God of High School? I've been reading the manwha for a decade now or so and it's a real rocky road with that thing but wondering how someone that knows nothing about the IP feels about the show.

naterfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Oh god I've caught up in the Houseki no Kuni / Land of the Lustrous manga and I am now a broken shell of a person. I loved the show when it aired but I was not prepared for where the comic was going to go. It definitely has jumped ahead as maybe what I look forward to the most with regards to new updates.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4499  Edited By Mezmero

I've been watching an ungodly amount of OK KO: Let's Be Heroes. I've now seen enough to say.... I LOVE IT! Just watching the show you can feel the creators' genuine love of cartoons, comics, anime, video games, pro wrestling, basically all the nerdy stuff I also love. The child's-drawing aesthetic really grows on you as it lends itself to the visual gags in so many fun ways. I'm also a fan of them constantly using the literal/Canadian pronunciation of "sorry".

I've been watching God of High School. I really like the fighting animation. I must say as soon as I realized it was Korean some of the odd structure and pacing of it started to make a bit more sense. I guess it's more a product of being adapted from a web comic that hurts it as I imagine it doesn't go through the same rigorous editorial process to iron out some of the rough edges. Like you don't have an editor to suggest punching up some of these super bland character designs or that maybe the 4th episode is a bit early for a co-opted wedding plot line. It's a bit all over the place but again I think the fighting is pretty cool.

I finished the available episodes of Kengan Ashura and weirdly enough think it's the best fighting show between it, GoH, and Baki. I say that in spite of the fact that I'm still not entirely sold on this CG style of animation. However the more I watched it the more I appreciate its stylistic choices in presenting a more old school style of MMA where the martial arts represented isn't just 90% BJJ. I'm also a sucker for pro-wrestling being depicted as a legit fighting technique and this show handles it remarkably well. I feel like where something like Baki uses a lot of bogus pseudo science to explain away its over the top brutality for shock value, this show actually feels as though it's in service of its crazy elaborate fighting techniques. Between these three shows I'm getting a hankering for someone to try making another King of Fighters anime. Heck there are at least 3 characters in Kengan Ashura that are essentially blood riot orochi-users.

Some other stuff:

Watched the Dorehedoro anime and loved it. I read just a bit of the manga ages ago but never got very far. I thought it was cool at the time, it's just that I simply wished it could be an anime someday. I can't think of the last time I've watched an anime that's so weird and yet still so full of logical consistency within the context of its reality. Noi is best girl.

Watched some Appare Ranman!. A very cool cannonball run anime featuring a Japanese steam punk coming to America.

Finished My Life as a Villainess and thought it was a very cute show. Going in I was worried it would just be Re:ZERO with a girl but thankfully it's just a show about an isekai otome girl trying to get everyone to love her despite being the canonical villainess.

I'm trying to get back into Ranma 1/2. I love the show but truthfully I've never watched passed season 5 until now. Watching it really makes me pine for the days of hand-drawn animation which are long gone sadly. Gonna keep working on finishing it when I get some spare time.

Kemuri07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man. Baki finally got rid of the CG shit and it makes it sooooooo much better.