Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ghostbusters: The Video Game

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Jun 16, 2009

With a script edited and approved by Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, Ghostbusters: The Video Game is a sequel to the feature length films. Who ya gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS!

Ghostbusters Developers Unsell You Their Game

• 88 results
    ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By ahriman22
    @TheHBK: He may be a fanboy, but you are the utter worst of the fanboy type. Go back and read your previous post, you sound like a fanboy here and there. I've played almost every game I have on my 360 on my PS3 (except for exclusives) and they look nearly the same., the difference is tiny, if any. Sure your name shouldn't be in green?
    Simes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Simes
    @Player1 said:
    " The ps3 has less ram then the 360? That surprises me.  "
    They have the same amount of RAM but it's not usable in the same way. The 360 has 512MB of shared RAM, the PS3 has 256MB of system RAM and 256MB of video RAM. So theoretically the hard limit on texture size is lower on the PS3, but it depends on how much RAM you need on the 360 for game code and data.
    ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By ahriman22
    @Player1: 
    PS3: 
    • 256MB XDR Main RAM @ 3.2GHz
    • 256MB GDDR3 VRAM @ 700MHz

360:
    • 512MB GDDR3 RAM @ 700MHz

heavyknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By heavyknife

Why even bother releasing a game for the PC with no Multiplayer functionality? If the game is not hyped up enough, mediocre Singleplayer game with no Multiplayer. Why would anyone spend ~€50 on that game? Look at Blizzard for example, sure the MMORPG WoW are dragging in a lot of money but there is still ways to play in online on pirated servers. But would you bother doing that? You will not get any near the experience as if you buy the game and play with your friends. If the game would be Singelplayer the game experience would not change at all. Blizzard are staying true to the PC community and are going to relase games like Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. How come they don't skip the PC and make it for the PS3 and X360 (without thinking about the obvious that it is a point-and-click game). They know that they will make a quality Multiplayer game, and in order for you to get your hands on that experience you need to buy the game, there no way around it. There might be a cracked server or something but as I said earlier that would just create extra hassel etc. I would almost say, don't even bother to make a Singelplayer campaing because when it comes to PC, it has almost always been about competing online because of the accuracy and skill one get with a keyboard and mouse which can't be achieved with a console, not even close.

Why is the PC only connected to a piracy platform? I got a X360 and the first thing I did was to flash it, so now I download games to my console and will buy the upcoming titles for the PC like Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. Why would I even bother going online with games like Red Faction on the X360 and do some mindless spray and pray with autoaim? where is the skill? where is anything? for me coming from a competing background in Quake and CS (the old days) I am only geting frustrated. Keyboard and mouse is the only way to go.

Bottom line is, by making this insult to the PC community and removing multiplayer function and releasing it on multiplatforms people are most likley even if they have a good PC get it for their console. Then the developers will just say "Look! Look! No one bought the PC version and its up on Pirate Bay, what is the point of developing games for the PC anyway?". Bah...

That is my .02

Eelcire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By Eelcire
    @Hamz said:
    "This is a prime example of why developers should stay within their job criteria and let the PR folks do the talking. Both quotes there do not shine a good light on the developer and if truth be told both quotes basically sound like they're shitting on the PC and PS3 even though I'm sure the general meaning and feeling behind them isn't mean't to be that."

While I can agree with the sentiment, don't we as informed gamers also criticize the publishers/developers for spoon-feeding us canned responses through PR? Like you said It's not like they're purposefully putting down the PC or PS3 platforms, just telling it as they saw it. Doesn't make the lack of PC features any better, nor the lower res PS3 version, but it's better than being told PR BS; prime example (and what's making this all the worse I think) are the initial interviews with the PR people hyping up the PS3 version as the lead and 'definitive' game.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By TwoOneFive

wow, its mind boggling when you look at games like uncharted, and killzone 2 and these guys are still doing shitty ps3 ports. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By Diamond
    @heavyknife said:
    I got a X360 and the first thing I did was to flash it, so now I download games to my console and will buy the upcoming titles for the PC like Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. Why would I even bother going online with games like Red Faction on the X360 and do some mindless spray and pray with autoaim? where is the skill? where is anything? for me coming from a competing background in Quake and CS (the old days) I am only geting frustrated. Keyboard and mouse is the only way to go.
    Wow, you are a fucking bastard...
    Rasgueado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By Rasgueado
    @Wools: Quincunx was one of the first implemented techniques of anti-aliasing on the PC. I remember playing with these settings back when Deus Ex was first released.
    Wools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59  Edited By Wools
    @Rasgueado:
    Intresting!  I've never heared of the term before and presumed that it was a slight dig by the Developers.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By TheHBK
    @Simes said:
    "
    @Player1 said:
    " The ps3 has less ram then the 360? That surprises me.  "
    They have the same amount of RAM but it's not usable in the same way. The 360 has 512MB of shared RAM, the PS3 has 256MB of system RAM and 256MB of video RAM. So theoretically the hard limit on texture size is lower on the PS3, but it depends on how much RAM you need on the 360 for game code and data."

Well there is also that 10MB that the 360 has for a buffer, but thats kinda small.
    @ahriman22
    Yes go ahead and read my post.  Most cases it is true that games look the same but I pointed out where games have clearly faltered on the PS3 for no real reason other than the aliasing issues sony's consoles have had and the problem this has caused for developers.  This was the case when the PS2 was up against the Dreamcast and games like Quake3 looked bette ron the DC.  And I have pointed out a couple that I have had experience with, Lost Planet and GTA4, and I mention these because the differences are substantial.  The only game that I have seen to be better on the PS3 is Oblivion and the PS3 release came out a whole year after the 360 and PC versions.
    My whole point is that this is not all developers fault.  The sony console is harder to get the most out of but it just seems strange to me how bad these games can look.  If this truth is too much for you to handle, then I am sorry I hurt your feelings.  I truly am.  But I am not going to just fold my arms and make myself believe the PS3 is superior or that developers aren't doing something right here.  In the last generation, the Xbox was the superior console, and multiplatform games would not be the best looking games nor would they push the Xbox.  But the xbox versions were always clearly the best looking.  So how is it that this console which has pumped out the best looking games this generation (killzone, Uncharted...) fails so miserably in the multiplatforms?  Maybe there is something wrong with the the hardware or development process inherent to that machine?
    Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By Knives

Ghostbusters on PC is half the price? Wow. The Wii version is only $35? 

Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Reverseface

Bah not even interested in Ghosterbuster the game. If a big company said soemthing like that I.e EA that dude would be fired.

sdauz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By sdauz

this is all a marketing buzz campaign

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@Diamond said:
    "
    @heavyknife said:
    I got a X360 and the first thing I did was to flash it, so now I download games to my console and will buy the upcoming titles for the PC like Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. Why would I even bother going online with games like Red Faction on the X360 and do some mindless spray and pray with autoaim? where is the skill? where is anything? for me coming from a competing background in Quake and CS (the old days) I am only geting frustrated. Keyboard and mouse is the only way to go.
    Wow, you are a fucking bastard... "
    Those "fucking bastards" are actually legion. Console games get downloaded just like PC games, but since it's is officially a non-issue, those idiots fly under the radar, mostly unharmed.
    BillyBrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By BillyBrush

Oh noes the 360 gpu and EDRAM combo is still holding up well.

People making games work hard, gamers who want them to work harder because their toy says so are just spoiled.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Diamond
    @atomic_dumpling said:
    Those "fucking bastards" are actually legion. Console games get downloaded just like PC games, but since it's is officially a non-issue, those idiots fly under the radar, mostly unharmed. "
    I'm more pissed off at the jerk openly admitting to pirating the awesome Red Faction Guerrilla.

But yea, 360, Wii, PSP, and DS all have some element of piracy.  PS3 not yet.  PC pirates are larger in number and larger proportionally of course.

It pisses me off though.
    heavyknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By heavyknife
    @Diamond said:
    " @atomic_dumpling said:
    Those "fucking bastards" are actually legion. Console games get downloaded just like PC games, but since it's is officially a non-issue, those idiots fly under the radar, mostly unharmed. "
    I'm more pissed off at the jerk openly admitting to pirating the awesome Red Faction Guerrilla.But yea, 360, Wii, PSP, and DS all have some element of piracy.  PS3 not yet.  PC pirates are larger in number and larger proportionally of course.It pisses me off though. "
    I was going to buy it for the PC... do you see a PC version out? no later this year.
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#68  Edited By dsplayer1010

They should have thought that out more.

MacGyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By MacGyver

haha, who would of thought a ghost busters game would come with such controversy. Jesus.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Diamond
    @heavyknife said:
    " @Diamond said:
    " @atomic_dumpling said:
    I'm more pissed off at the jerk openly admitting to pirating the awesome Red Faction Guerrilla.But yea, 360, Wii, PSP, and DS all have some element of piracy.  PS3 not yet.  PC pirates are larger in number and larger proportionally of course.It pisses me off though. "
    I was going to buy it for the PC... do you see a PC version out? no later this year. "
    I really hope you buy it for PC at least when it comes out.  It depresses me because I worry about the future of good games.
    meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#71  Edited By meptron

Ouch. The worst thing is that many developpers are able to make PC, 360 and PS3 versions that are equal, with regards to both features and graphics. So why can't these guys? Sounds like the REAL issue here is the developper isn't quite up to snuff...

Avatar image for fire_marshall_bill
    Fire_Marshall_Bill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Developers:  hey lets try this, lets get people not to buy our game.

anyway, I was hyped for this game but it has drifted, hopefully Ryan gives a good review

clintlandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By clintlandon
    @Dan64: I don't think it has to do with online console gaming being superior. I think it's just about what versions will sell the most copies. PC game equivalents never sell as well as the console versions, so those versions will get the most resources. It sucks, but they have to do what is smart financially, I guess.
    Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#74  Edited By Luke

I thought the PS3 and the X360 have the exact same amount of RAM?  It's just the PS3 has it split-up into 2 separate banks (256/256 instead of one 512)... I don't know, it's been a while. 

If this is so, the Ghostbuster Devs are kinda stoopid.  Maybe they could only figure-out how to use 1 of the 256 banks?

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#75  Edited By ch13696

Wow. They need to get some pointers from the God of War, iNfamous, and Uncharted team. Becuase they managed to get their games running at 60 FPS at 1080p.

gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By gunslingerNZ

I was going to buy ghostbusters but if it's shitty looking on the PS3 I think I'll just rent. Plenty of other good looking PS3 games coming out to spend my cash on. Nice marketing campaign you got going there guys ;)

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By slyspider

i loled that the xbox 360(the weaker console) one looks better than the ps3......

lacke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By lacke
    @Luke: Yeah your right. IIRC, the difference is that the PS3 RAM is dedicated to a certain function where the 360 can allocate RAM where it's needed. For instance if you have function A and B. A only requires 200 MB RAM. PS3 would have to dedicate 256 MB for A anyway, while the 360 is "smarter" and only gives A 200 MB which leaves 312 MB left for B.

Anyway, I'm not a dev and I've only read articles about it. Don't really understand it completely myself so I might be just talking out of my ass.
    dQuarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By dQuarters

I could be wrong, but not putting the resources into PC multiplayer (due to having to make a cut) sounds like the most logical solution. PC games are usually cheapest (this PC game is anyhow). And they are easiest to support post-release. So they could always add it later as DLC. Free or not.

I don't see that as unfair, or even an issue.

The PS3 thing just sounds like a goofy thing to say, plus it's a copout. If other devs can make games on PS3 look good, there's no excuse. They just failed to do so themselves, and shouldn't sling mud at the hardware when it's obviously lack-luster software at fault.
    Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#82  Edited By Lazyaza

I was going to buy the pc version personally, don't care for online as I'm in it for the nostalgia, humor and hopefully half decent gameplay so whatever.
    Feel sorry for anyone who only owns a ps3 though, they're getting royally ass raped by Terminal Reality if they buy the game.  Maybe if they had built it for ps3 first they wouldn't have run into this ram issue. It is well established by now that their are ways to get ps3 games looking phenominal without having any lag whatsoever which I assume is why they dumbed down the visuals, to keep their engine running smoothly which basically means its pathetically unoptimized for the hardware.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By get2sammyb
    @TheHBK: It's not the point though. Terminal Reality obviously aim to make money on the PS3 version correct? So if they want to make money on it they should ensure their version stacks up. Otherwise not make it at all.

There are really no excuses anymore when virtually every other developer has figured out how to use the PS3 by now. I agree it's ironic that TR said how much they liked the PS3 - but at the end of the day, that's moot.

The point is if you're going to release your game on a platform you intend consumers to buy it on you should at least ensure the experience is equal. This has nothing to do with Sony or Microsoft or code or anything else. If you want the revenue for releasing the game to Playstation 3 owners, you should make sure it looks relatively equal first.

EDIT: You're really using hyperbole in your post when you claim "but the xbox versions were always clearly the best looking" -- point me to one big release this year (aside from Ghostbusters) when there really has been a significant difference?

Like I've already said, I'm not a games developer. It probably is hard coding on the PS3. But hey, that's kinda their job. They make PS3 games for the PS3 consumers to buy and subsequently make money. If the version isn't up to scratch it is they who lose -- I'm sure many PS3 only owners will skip on Ghostbusters now, or others choosing to buy the XBOX version instead. If they couldn't be bothered to do the coding in the first-place, they shouldn't release the game. It's like McDonalds making and selling a Big-Mac twice the size for males, where females get a Big-Mac half the size for the same price. Well - it's a bad example but you see where I'm coming from.

Anyway, I'm done with discussing this and hope this "platform comparison" bollocks doesn't come to light again for a while, because we've had about 8 months off from it.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#84  Edited By Linkyshinks

Dude should have kept quiet on the PC version.

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By MadeinFinland

Damn, PC gets the short stick again. *sigh* All this douche-baggerry is making me almost want to buy a 360. (Almost)

piropeople13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By piropeople13

Pure cop out.  There are countless other games out that have decent and fully functional PC ports, and keep the 360 and PS3 visuals on par with each other and still look and play excellent.  These guys shouldn't get any slack when gamers are asked to pay full price (at least for console versions).

If they want to lower expectations then lower the price.
    aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By aaox
    @Lydian_Sel said:
    " Its always great to hear a developer positively appraising their product.Too much Crystal Skull Vodka for Threewave!! "
    Say what you want, that sh*t is
    delicious. No, I've never drunken it. Yes, I know that the plural for drunk is drank. No, I don't care. Well, maybe a little, but still.
    RAMBLING!
    nvmfst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#88  Edited By nvmfst

Threeware?! Threeway..... That can't be it... Must get head out of gutter....

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#89  Edited By Kyle

The fact of the matter is that these decisions are made for every single game, it's just that in this case the developer is being honest rather than sugar-coating the issue. Here's some cold hard facts for you: Movie license games have low budgets and extremely strict deadlines. In such cases, concessions such as these are not just necessary, but inescapable. At least they have the balls to charge less for the PC version.

I'm not saying you should just shut up and buy the game, just don't get mad at the developer. Nobody likes to have to put out incomplete or uneven ports.

And lets be honest, this game is fuckin' dumb anyways. If you even give a shit about this, you're just as stupid as a PC port without multiplayer.

Bartman3010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#90  Edited By Bartman3010

I wonder why they didnt opt to go for some Games for Windows live support of any kind for the game. It shouldnt've been too hard to use the same tools to develop both the 360 and PC version so that they could have the same type of features. As a bonus, GFWLive now allows for games to be played online for free. I would say hold out for a patch, but pbbbht.

From what I can see, the 360 and Wii versions are the way to go. 360 for the intended platform, and the Wii version, despite being done by a different team, has generic motion control and 2 player local co-op.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.