Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Remnant: From the Ashes

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Aug 20, 2019

Remnant: From the Ashes is a third-person survival action game where up to 4 players can fight, adapt and overcome the perils of diverse and deadly environments.

I know I'm late, anyone get into this?

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

When this first came out I bounced off pretty hard and never thought about it again. I was just looking through game pass and felt like trying something out, 20 hours later I am hooked.

I think a lot of people lost interest in this game because of its very brown and boring first few hours, because after the first couple areas it becomes a very visually interesting and more mechanically diverse game than it lets on it first.

Seeing things like adventure, survival, and rerolling the campaign have me understanding this is a schlooter with some legs. I picked up the DLC so I don't know how much better they made the game from launch, but this is the best souls-like I've played that hasn't been from From software.

Also, I feel like this is the game I was hoping for from outriders, became a force myself to put more time into than I wanted because people said it got good. That never happened for me but it did happen here

stealydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

You pretty much summed up my thoughts already, so I don't have much to add besides agreeing wholeheartedly that this game rules. Need to start another run so I can check out the new-ish DLC that takes place at the end. Maybe that will provide a more cohesive conclusion, which I guess was my only criticism.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

I have sunk about 200 hours in and I still boot it up to run a few maps when I'm bored.

I've tried to get some friends into it, and unfortunately the game really does fumble its opening. My first time through the game left me with some pretty basic weapons, armour, and weapon mods and it wasn't until I started to mess with rolling different adventures that I started to find some of the more wild and interesting weapons. it's hard to convince people to stick with it when the first five hours are boring brown city with boring brown pistol and boring brown shotgun.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_nubster: brown is right,now that I know how good it gets, I don't mind having the variety, but starting with the post apocalyptic template was a huge mistake. So far I haven't even done a full clear yet, I keep getting distracted by the survival mode, which I have gained absolutely zero of the desired currency from because I suck so bad haha.

To think that shooting a swarm of corrosive bees from my shotgun while my two floating skulls cover my back and my hammer shoots out a shock wave as I dive around like a maniac is the same game that I slogged through in the first two hours is pretty wild.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stealydan: that criticism makes me think that maybe I should not have been skipping 100% of the dialogue, this story worth hearing? I've treated this as my podcast game for mass murder and nothing more, maybe next playthrough I'll learn wtf is going on. Just assumed this was Dark Tower the game and left it at that

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I played through it with some friends earlier this year. It's... fine. It's good! We had some fun!

At about the 20 hour mark, I'd had my fill. We were in one of the DLC areas, in the snow, I was pushing through to see all the content but then I was like "eh. eh." It has the mechanical chops to be more interesting but there's just not enough there for me to want to keep playing, plus the first quarter of the game is just a boring fucking slog. Why would you pace your game like that? I know they wanted the whole stargate thing to be a cool surprise, but they could have done anything other than put you in a boring gray bombed out city. It looks a lot like the first hours of the first Darksiders. If you'll remember, the early hours of Darksiders also take place in a bombed out long dead city and those were also the worst parts of that game. My understanding is that this was largely made by the same people, which makes sense.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i played through this late last year with a buddy- it was a good time! didn't check out any of the DLC, but the core game was a lot of fun- some solid boss designs.

i'm hoping they take a crack at a remnant 2- game's got some great bones, but some fit-and-finish would take it up a notch.

crashman06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had some fun with this game on GamePass about this time last year. It was a good time! I will say I played it mostly solo, and the last boss was completely impossible to beat on my own. But I had a great time with it up to that point!

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sahalarious

Glad to see so many Duders enjoyed it, was surprised to see very little activity on here, especially given how deep the end game stuff is here. The fextralife for this is about as deep as it is in a Dark souls and that's awesome, I hope I don't burn out on this because I'm looking forward to mastering this on higher settings

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was . . . fine. I think there were some nice idea in there but I was put off by the aesthetic and something about the gear/leveling curve really rubbed me the wrong way. The way the system worked just felt needlessly complicated and also meant that you never had the feeling of getting any more powerful. In fact, it often felt like you were being penalized for equipping more powerful gear.

Pilgrimm1981

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played it with a buddy, had a lot fun, the last boss seemed a bit unbalanced, could only beat him when my buddy was a bit overleveled.

Gundahaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone had the chance to check out the next-gen upgraded version?

I kept holding off on diving deep into this one because I was waiting for friends to play through with me - would you guys say it's worth it as a solo experience?

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved it when it came out. I could not put it down, finished it within a week solo.

Really hope they make a second one.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played through the whole thing single player and loved it. Nice surprise.

stealydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sahalarious: You're not missing out on any fantastic writing, but the stuff they do have does a good enough job of worldbuilding to make me care about why I'm doing what I'm doing in the game.

Following in the footsteps of post-apocalypse Stargate Indiana Jones and discovering why everything in the various worlds is the way it is in terms of culture, tech, etc. was fairly interesting.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Big fan of this game - great fun for me and two of my buddies playing long distance during COVID. We'd try to game once a week to keep in touch.

I really enjoyed the eerie 'annihilation'esque setting and lore but it was not jumping down your throat and I could immerse myself in it between sessions or while friends were upgrading as they are not big into stories.

I found the itemization and perk mechanics to be cool. Guns satisfying to use and the movement was very, very tight. Definitely one of those games where you die its your fault but without it feeling as punishing or repetitive as a Dark Souls. It found a balance that I liked.

My only two complaints were on how thing scaled with gear score and that you were very limited in your ability load outs. Abilities are fun and I wish games didn't limit you as much sometimes, I have this problem with Destiny 1 (Destiny 2 a little better with faster recharges and one extra ability over D1).

Hopefully I can get the band back together to go through that newest DLCs one of these days since the chances of any of us getting a PS5 before 2022 or 2023 seems incredibly unlikely.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just played this game because it was on gamepass and wanted to try it but I am really surprised about how good this game is and how it flew under my radar like that.

now I have a great game that I can look forward to this gen

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.