Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Dec 06, 2004

With the Jedi nearly extinct, the galaxy is on the verge of falling into complete anarchy. As an exiled Jedi Knight regaining the Force, you must choose your path: help restore the Jedi Order, or embrace the dark side.

O.O OMG Knights of the Old Republic II is on Steam now!

• 79 results
    Turkalurch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Turkalurch
    kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By kermoosh

now i just have to wait for the port to mac....

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By connerthekewlkid

does it support the restoration mod? if it does ill get it

Avatar image for thebeastwithtwobacks
    thebeastwithtwobacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ive been wondering whether that would ever happen

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I still need to beat the first game ._.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Now you too can witness one of the greatest disappointments of the last decade!

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By The_Nubster

@ArbitraryWater said:

It wasn't one of the greatest disappointments. Even with all of the missing content and bugs, the story still went above and beyond anything that Star Wars had ever done, or will do in the future. The way it muddled the line between the Light and Dark sides and explored what the Force, or the wielding of, did to the psyche was incredible.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By me3639

@connerthekewlkid said:

does it support the restoration mod? if it does ill get it

I wouldn't know why not. Steam has always been supportive of the MOD community.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By butano

Just got home and opened up Steam....

*swoon*

Took em long enough to get it on there!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Animasta

@The_Nubster said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

It wasn't one of the greatest disappointments. Even with all of the missing content and bugs, the story still went above and beyond anything that Star Wars had ever done, or will do in the future. The way it muddled the line between the Light and Dark sides and explored what the Force, or the wielding of, did to the psyche was incredible.

say it loud brotha

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#11  Edited By fox01313

Sweet, also when I was gamestop they had a collection for $20 of both Kotor games. Think I'll still go with the steam version & read recently on Rock, Paper, Shotgun about the mod making some important updates to this game (article link). Good time to go back into this game soon between now & the end of the year if there's any free time between the new games coming out.

EerieTraveler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EerieTraveler

So flawed but still so good.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Turambar
    @Animasta said:

@The_Nubster said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

say it loud brotha

Nah, I'd say I was pretty damn disappointed.  Probably not the greatest disappointment, but its up there.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#14  Edited By BeachThunder

Well, that's good I guess, but I ended up just playing a physical copy of it earlier this year, since I gave up on any likelihood of this actually happening =|

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15  Edited By AndrewB

Well hey! I said I'd buy it when it became available in a reasonable way!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Animasta

@Turambar said:

@Animasta said:

@The_Nubster said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

say it loud brotha

Nah, I'd say I was pretty damn disappointed. Probably not the greatest disappointment, but its up there.

What was disappointing about it though? I felt the lack of content was a bummer, but it was largely added back in with the restoration mod.

of course I really didn't like KOTOR1 so maybe I just didn't have any expectations for it

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@The_Nubster said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

Exactly. It barely resembles the source material at some points, spits on basically everything that happened in the first game, and has one of the single worst conclusions to a video game. Ever. I'm not saying that I don't appreciate the deconstruction angle and whatnot, but it doesn't make up for the part where I find the main story to be terrible, cut content notwithstanding.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Animasta

@ArbitraryWater said:

@The_Nubster said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

Exactly. It barely resembles the source material at some points, spits on basically everything that happened in the first game, and has one of the single worst conclusions to a video game. Ever. I'm not saying that I don't appreciate the deconstruction angle and whatnot, but it doesn't make up for the part where I find the main story to be terrible, cut content notwithstanding.

how does it spit on everything that happened in the first game? beyond HK-47 making fun of Carth, because I can barely remember KOTOR 1 (I remember the first planet and I think you go to that clone planet at some point)

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Animasta

also I'm not saying the ending wasn't poor, but calling it one of the worst conclusions ever in a video game is about as hyperbolic as you can get

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By The_Nubster

@Animasta said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

@The_Nubster said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

how does it spit on everything that happened in the first game? beyond HK-47 making fun of Carth, because I can barely remember KOTOR 1 (I remember the first planet and I think you go to that clone planet at some point)

It doesn't. People went in wanting a clean-cut Star Wars game about the super-awesome Jedi and the icky, nasty Sith, instead got a down-and-dirty, brilliantly told deconstruction that examined what those two factions were truly about, and were further pissed by lack of content. HK-47 making fun of Carth wasn't even a big deal, especially since HK-47 hated everyone but the player character in KotOR 1.

BioWare does one thing well, and it isn't writing, I'll say that much. Obsidian is, hands-down, the single best developer out there when it comes to telling emotional, compelling stories that tear down preconceptions. Their games aren't the most reliable things, but they tell stories that fully embrace the possibilities that being a video game offers, and they're like no other. The amount of actual choice and variation they build in to their games is mind-blowing, especially considering that their stories never deal in black-and-white interactions like other games.

dooscent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By dooscent

@Animasta said:

also I'm not saying the ending wasn't poor, but calling it one of the worst conclusions ever in a video game is about as hyperbolic as you can get

The ending we were presented was a series of bandaids and level 1 robits and floating lightsabers.

The ending that was pretty much just commented out, in the coding was pretty neat. Like, how it, y'know, gave closure to a lot of the characters, instead of Kreia going "AN HE OK. AN SHE OK TOO. YA SHE OK. AN OTHA SHE B OK TOO Y'ALL. Also fight."

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Animasta

@doosmacleod said:

@Animasta said:

The ending we were presented was a series of bandaids and level 1 robits and floating lightsabers.

The ending that was pretty much just commented out, in the coding was pretty neat. Like, how it, y'know, gave closure to a lot of the characters, instead of Kreia going "AN HE OK. AN SHE OK TOO. YA SHE OK. AN OTHA SHE B OK TOO Y'ALL. Also fight."

what do you count as the ending? I count the whole last bit with the sith temple on malachor IV or whatever, that fight with sion's pretty dope and what not.

like I'm not saying it's not bad but one of the worst of all time? give me a break

cruxking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cruxking

bought it

dooscent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By dooscent

@Animasta said:

@doosmacleod said:

@Animasta said:

what do you count as the ending? I count the whole last bit with the sith temple on malachor IV or whatever, that fight with sion's pretty dope and what not.

like I'm not saying it's not bad but one of the worst of all time? give me a break

I agree, it's not the worst ever. And yeah I'm counting all of Malachor. It's really goddamn awful. But given what it could have been, and what in the code, and recorded by the VAs... what it could have been would have been quite impressive.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dagbiker

@kermoosh said:

... that is never coming.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Terramagi

Gonna wait until the Restoration Mod is patched to work with it.

I forget, does the Restoration Mod let you choose between Handmaiden and that other jackass, regardless of gender?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Animasta

@doosmacleod said:

@Animasta said:

@doosmacleod said:

@Animasta said:

I agree, it's not the worst ever. And yeah I'm counting all of Malachor. It's really goddamn awful. But given what it could have been, and what in the code, and recorded by the VAs... what it could have been would have been quite impressive.

disappointing? of course the ending was disappointing. They had 8 months to work on it. Compare KOTOR 2 to new vegas, where new vegas had a year and a half (I think) and they had the opportunity for DLC.

@Terramagi: apparently the canon in star warsiverse is that was a female exile but the handmaiden also went (also that dude was the disciple and yeah he kinda sucked)

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AndrewB

@Dagbiker said:

@kermoosh said:

If they couldn't finish the original version, I'd assume this is true. Wine is free, and this game is old. Might I suggest Wineskin or Winebottler?

dooscent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By dooscent

@Animasta:

Oh yeah I agree, New Vegas is great. Been playing through again lately.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Terramagi

@Animasta said:

@doosmacleod said:

@Animasta said:

@doosmacleod said:

@Animasta said:

disappointing? of course the ending was disappointing. They had 8 months to work on it. Compare KOTOR 2 to new vegas, where new vegas had a year and a half (I think) and they had the opportunity for DLC.

@Terramagi: apparently the canon in star warsiverse is that was a female exile but the handmaiden also went (also that dude was the disciple and yeah he kinda sucked)

Hence why I'm asking.

Disciple was a bad character.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By Trilogy

What took so long? License holder issues?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@Animasta said:

I dunno. I'd say it's up there with Halo 2 and Mass Effect 3 on the "This kinda makes me hate the rest of the game" scale. Those are what we think of when we think of bad endings, right? Don't forget: Force Vacuum.

@The_Nubster said:

@Animasta said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

@The_Nubster said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

It doesn't. People went in wanting a clean-cut Star Wars game about the super-awesome Jedi and the icky, nasty Sith, instead got a down-and-dirty, brilliantly told deconstruction that examined what those two factions were truly about, and were further pissed by lack of content. HK-47 making fun of Carth wasn't even a big deal, especially since HK-47 hated everyone but the player character in KotOR 1.

BioWare does one thing well, and it isn't writing, I'll say that much. Obsidian is, hands-down, the single best developer out there when it comes to telling emotional, compelling stories that tear down preconceptions. Their games aren't the most reliable things, but they tell stories that fully embrace the possibilities that being a video game offers, and they're like no other. The amount of actual choice and variation they build in to their games is mind-blowing, especially considering that their stories never deal in black-and-white interactions like other games.

It kinda does, by making everything that happened in the first game entirely irrelevant and then barely calling back to any of it. Why is it even a sequel? Hell, why did it need to have the Star Wars license at all? Why did the titular Sith Lords barely show up? Does throwing a bunch of moral ambiguity make up for the fact that your character is still making binary moral choices all while a nihilistic old woman cryptically cryptics your cryptic? But whatever. You clearly think this game is a masterpiece, and I don't hate it enough to care to argue any further. My point has been made.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nottle

@AndrewB said:

@Dagbiker said:

@kermoosh said:

If they couldn't finish the original version, I'd assume this is true. Wine is free, and this game is old. Might I suggest Wineskin or Winebottler?

Kotor 1 was on mac on steam. From my experience trying to run Deus Ex in steam with Winebottler, it was super janky, i couldn't get it to go full screen. but then again, i don't like messing with computers.

Also if i find KOTOR 1 super boring, i probably wouldn't like this much either?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AndrewB

@ArbitraryWater: From this interview:

The first story draft was pretty terrible, mostly because we weren’t allowed to play K1 before drafting it, so we really knew nothing about the first game and were writing in the dark (Revan who?).
    It was a frustrating situation that we wasted 2-3 months on that (there was nothing to be done about it), and then had to do another revision once we were able to play the first game. If you feel a disconnect in the storylines, that would be one of the reasons (again, my fault).

Explains a little; though it excuses nothing.

@Nottle said:

Kotor 1 was on mac on steam. From my experience trying to run Deus Ex in steam with Winebottler, it was super janky, i couldn't get it to go full screen. but then again, i don't like messing with computers.

Also if i find KOTOR 1 super boring, i probably wouldn't like this much either?

But KOTOR was handled by Bioware directly. I'd have to assume that there's even more of a cross-licensing shitstorm surrounding KOTOR II that would prevent anyone working on that game to create a Mac port, let alone fix the original game they put out. That we're only now seeing a digital release is telling enough. Also, a lot of Mac ports are just emulated Windows clients in a similar way to what Wine does. I guess I'd never say never, though, because the engine work is done.

Can't answer the second half of that, as I haven't played KOTOR II, but I think it's safe to say you wouldn't like it because the gameplay is largely unchanged.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LiquidPrince

Is KOTOR a single player game? My local Walmart has both in a package that resembles SWTOR for $19.99, on PC.

Calitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By Calitar

These arguments have sold me on the game. I gotta find out for myself! I get the feeling that I'll like it, given that I like Obsidian's style of storytelling.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By rubberluffy

I actually like KOTOR2 more than 1 solely on a mechanical level. I just think 2 is funner to play and easier to make completely overpowered customized lightsabers and guns. Making HK-47 into a dual pistol machine of death against any Jedi/Sith is hilarious.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@AndrewB: That... explains a lot. Let me be clear. I think that Obsidian is full of a bunch of talented writers, and in general I think that the writing in KotOR 2 is better than the first. I just think that it fails as a sequel and the main story sucks.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By Red

Just bought it. Yes, the ending sucks, but it has some fantastic story elements, characters, and choices. The gameplay and customization is ten times better than the original KotOR, even if it is glitchier. Not sure when I'll get around to playing it, but I'm looking forward to going through it again sometime soon.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By project343

@ArbitraryWater said:

KOTOR is within my top 3 favourite games of all time. KOTOR2 was not that big of a disappointment. It was a little buggier, had a shit ending, but had a ton of really interesting moments and story beats that make the adventure more memorable than the original (which is only really remembered for it's brilliant twist).

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#41  Edited By Yummylee

I really like KOTOR 2, but there's also a bit of a bias within my appreciation because it's the very first game I ever played that allowed such choice and ambiguity. I loved the characters (Atton basically being Han Solo with an even darker edge was a favourite, and of course HK47), the really dark and downright depressing story, and playing evil was so fun in that game! As was bringing your entire crew down with you so you've gotta whole squad of grey-skinned Sith fighters.

It requires some serious disbelief to play along with the notion that nearly everyone on your team who isn't already a Jedi/Sith could become one, but eh, as I said I find it hard to hold any kind of disdain towards the game because of how mind blown I was. I completed KOTOR 2 like... I dunno, 15+ times? Ending is still a bunch of faeces, though.

I also really enjoyed the first KOTOR (especially the dark side path when you choose to massacre like half of your own team), but it doesn't have the same amount of reverence for me. I may also have hated KOTOR 2 had I played the original first. Haven't played either of 'em in a very long time, though. God, and I remember that I even played both of them on the PC! Though this was also a few years after their initial release. KOTOR, Unreal Tournament, Warcraft, Starcraft, Silver, Soldier of Fortune, WoW... I miss my PC gaming days.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By jakob187

@The_Nubster said:

@Animasta said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

@The_Nubster said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

Personally, I was fine with the story. It's the part where I had to play the game that sucked. Buggy as fuck and generally not much fun to deal with.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By cornbredx

Cool. I already have it on disk though.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By falling_fast

well, now that the restoration is finally complete, now is definitely the time to play this game if you haven't yet. it's really fucking good (with the restoration mod installed)

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By Marz

has it been confirmed that the Restoration mod works with this steam version of the game?

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Turambar

@Animasta said:

@Turambar said:

@Animasta said:

@The_Nubster said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

say it loud brotha

Nah, I'd say I was pretty damn disappointed. Probably not the greatest disappointment, but its up there.

What was disappointing about it though? I felt the lack of content was a bummer, but it was largely added back in with the restoration mod.

of course I really didn't like KOTOR1 so maybe I just didn't have any expectations for it

Because the restoration mod wasn't the work of Obsidian, and as such, should not be credited to them, nor the game they pushed out.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I liked Kotor 2, as much as the first one. Guess that makes me a bad person.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

@The_Nubster said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

I support this sentiment 100%.

Aelric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Aelric

Good timing. This just happened: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/27/grey-skies-are-gonna-kreia-up-kotor-2-completed/

I loved the deconstructionist take on the setting. Dunno for the restored content, but I can only imagine it'll only improve.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.