Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ubisoft Entertainment

Company »

Ubisoft Entertainment (pronounced yoo-bee-soft) is a French videogame developer and publisher, with its headquarters in Montreuil-Sous-Bois, France.

Ubi Going Green, Does Anyone Care

SourMillennia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By SourMillennia

I saw an artcile yesterday detailing Ubisoft's decision to 'go green' by ceasing to print game manuals in any of their future releases. They estimate they could save a few million trees alone by doing this, so from an environmental standpoint it sounds good. But, there are other questions. 

One is, isd the manual now going to be in digital format on a disc, which seems good until you realize that; if it is only accessible from the menu, one would have to quit their game if they need to figure something out from the manual. Also, what about game collectors. For years I have always bought games new in order to have the manual with the case and disk, as it then becomes a nicer 'package' overall. But what now? Thirdly, does anyone read the manual anymore? I just like having them from a collection perspective, but I rarely read them unless I am really confused about something. I admire Ubi's effort, but was the idea of a paper (now usually four page) manual outdated anyway? What are other folks thought's on this?

SourMillennia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1  Edited By SourMillennia

I saw an artcile yesterday detailing Ubisoft's decision to 'go green' by ceasing to print game manuals in any of their future releases. They estimate they could save a few million trees alone by doing this, so from an environmental standpoint it sounds good. But, there are other questions. 

One is, isd the manual now going to be in digital format on a disc, which seems good until you realize that; if it is only accessible from the menu, one would have to quit their game if they need to figure something out from the manual. Also, what about game collectors. For years I have always bought games new in order to have the manual with the case and disk, as it then becomes a nicer 'package' overall. But what now? Thirdly, does anyone read the manual anymore? I just like having them from a collection perspective, but I rarely read them unless I am really confused about something. I admire Ubi's effort, but was the idea of a paper (now usually four page) manual outdated anyway? What are other folks thought's on this?

arkasai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By arkasai

Don't really care : / never looked in those damn things anyway.  Most recently I skimmed the booklet for FF13...which by the way DOES NOT tell you which button to press to bring up the aerosol (veils) menu.  It's a small gesture toward the greater good, but it's not enough to for me to forgive them for their recent DRM choices.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By crusader8463

As far as I'm concerned there best efforts to go green was their new DRM system, because once they added it to all there games most people refused to buy them anymore. So if no one buys them then they don't need to make more, and that just means less waste all around!

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By diz

Aren't trees sustainable? 

From now on, if you want to read the manual, you'll have to turn your console or PC on every time. How energy saving is that?

Sounds to me like corporate cost cutting, dressed up as "doing us all a favour".

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By KaosAngel

Don't care, manuals aren't like they were before...my copy of MW2 had a fucking 4 page manual of crap, as did most of my games of 2008-2010, the only exception to this was the Metal Gear Solid 4 manual which was not just informative but also fucking hilarious.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#6  Edited By TheMasterDS

Manuals are useless nowadays. I sorta agree with Jeff in that before I got a licence, manuals had a place. Now they don't. I have a bigger problem with the cases with holes in the back perfect for being disposable. I mean sure, if I wanted to throw away the thing I payed 60 dollars for it'd be slightly less bad, but I'm not doing that because I intend to keep my fucking games.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By luce

Ubisoft is going green alright...

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By ProfessorEss

I don't care that they're getting rid of manuals, but I'm also not impressed by this weak idea of a "going green" initiative.
    Now if tomorrow UbiSoft says they are going to use video conferencing to reduce their air travel by 50% I might give a thumbs up.

@luce said:

" Ubisoft is going green alright... "

Well played :)
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee

So Ubi are aligned with microsoft huh? Biased bastards!
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Vinchenzo

Let me repeat what I said in the primary thread about this. 

Yes I somewhat care because I read manuals on the toilet. However, Ubisoft and EA have shitty, flimsy, uninforming manuals so I don't really care if they stop. I wanted to check the Assassin's Creed 2 manual for something the other day and it wasn't even in there. What the fuck is the point? However, if a company knows how to make a good manual on GOOD paper in color then by all means keep it up. Who the fuck really gives a shit about the trees anymore. We're all FUCKED.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KaosAngel
    @luce said:
    " Ubisoft is going green alright... "
    What ya talking about?  Aside from AC2, what game is making them bank like MW2?
    Dom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dom

I'm more upset about those new stripped down cases than about the manuals

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Dom: What are these stripped down cases everyone keeps talking about?  Please excuse my ignorance on this as I haven't bought a 360 game in years, and the PS3 BD cases are still the same...and PC games....don't need boxes? 
    Dom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dom
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Dom: What are these stripped down cases everyone keeps talking about?  Please excuse my ignorance on this as I haven't bought a 360 game in years, and the PS3 BD cases are still the same...and PC games....don't need boxes?  "
    they look like this: 
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KaosAngel
    @Dom: is that really cheaper?  I would think you need a machine to poke out those holes or buy a new machine to make the casing like that.  That looks so stupid...
    Dom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dom
    @KaosAngel said:
    " @Dom: is that really cheaper?  I would think you need a machine to poke out those holes or buy a new machine to make the casing like that.  That looks so stupid... "
    i don't know how much money it saves, if it saves any, but i find that it offers less protection to the disc
    MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrSnow

More like UBi saving money...........

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By skrutop

I'm cool with it, though trying to spin it as a "green" initiative instead of a cost-cutting measure seems a bit trite these days.  

I usually recycle my cases and put the discs in a CD wallet, but for some reason I keep the manuals.  I have no idea why, as I never read them.  I just can't bring myself to toss them in the recycling bin.

Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Gmanall

All they are doing is cutting cost for them which I think is fine because it is getting harder and harder to make money off of Mr White... 
    I don't   recycle because there is no point and it "kills" the environment more. The whole green thing is a lie...   

Zaxex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By Zaxex
    @Gmanall said:
    " All they are doing is cutting cost for them which I think is fine because it is getting harder and harder to make money off of Mr White... I don't   recycle because there is no point and it "kills" the environment more. The whole green thing is a lie...    "
    Don't really get that. Surely re-using paper or whatever saves cutting down some trees,  job done. 

I'm pretty into the idea of no more user manual things, the majority are useless and re-hash the info in the game but in black and white and with half the information being about law etc. I like how XBLA games do it, where you can pause many games and go Options -> How to Play, or something like that. Unless they're original I can't get a single piece of new information from them or entertain myself during a loading screen.
    Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Gmanall
    @Zaxex said:
    " @Gmanall said:
    " All they are doing is cutting cost for them which I think is fine because it is getting harder and harder to make money off of Mr White... I don't   recycle because there is no point and it "kills" the environment more. The whole green thing is a lie...    "
    Don't really get that. Surely re-using paper or whatever saves cutting down some trees,  job done.    
    The pickup uses gas that pollutes then they have to use chems to clean it up (The kind that are bad for the environment). Because trees are valuable for making paper they "plant" trees to harvest for paper. There are more trees today because of this then there were before paper took off.  
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#22  Edited By ryanwho

You're the 5th whiny blog I've seen on it today, so I guess you guys do care.

salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By salad10203

Um, i love ubi, they are one of the most innovative companies in gaming

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Leptok

They may be trying to go green, but they are still the black heart of evil with that DRM scheme.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.